So, you have a Netgear range extender installed in your house and have decided to replace the existing router with a new one. But, why are you worried? Are you facing problems connecting your range extender to the new router? Well, that’s not a daunting task. All you are required to do is take care of certain things while establishing a connection between two devices. Walk through the points discussed in this post and learn what should be done while you connect Netgear extender to new router.
For your convenience, we’ve also jotted down the steps to complete the connection process in case you’re unaware of them. So, read on.
To Begin with: Reset Your Extender
Yes, you read that right. If you are unable to connect your WiFi range extender to the new router, then its foremost cause is that the extender is still trying to amplify the signals emitted by your previous router which are not actually there. It is because the settings of the existing router are already saved in the extender. Therefore, you are required to erase them. You can do so by resetting the extender to the default factory mode. The steps given below will assist you in resetting the extender so that you can connect it to the new router without any difficulty:
- Ensure that no device is connected to the WiFi extender’s network.
- Now, locate the RESET button on the extender.
- FYI, the RESET button rests in a hole with the same label that is generally present at the back panel of the extender.
- As soon as you locate the button, consider pressing it with the help of a sharp object.
- Keep the button pressed for 15-30 seconds and release it.
- Your extender will reset.
This is how you can reset your WiFi range extender to the default factory mode. Now, you are all set to connect Netgear extender to new router. But wait; there are a few things that you should arrange before starting the process. Refer to the list given below to learn about them:
Prerequisites for Successful Extender-Router Connection
- A damage-free LAN cable
- The WiFi password and SSID of your new router
- An upgraded web browser
- The default password and user name of the Netgear extender
- The SSID and password of your range extender
Moving on, let’s shed light on the steps to create a connection between the Netgear extender and the new router. FYI, a successful connection will be created by visiting www.mywifiext.net i.e. the web address used to access the Netgear extender’s management panel. Check out the next section to know how to use this URL for connecting the extender to a new router.
How to Connect Netgear Extender to New Router?
Know that the connection creation will only be successful if you’ve already installed the WiFi router. Thus, make sure that your new router is configured. Thereafter, follow these steps:
- Place your extender at a location near the new router.
- Power down the router.
- With the help of a LAN cable, join the LAN and Internet ports of your router and extender respectively.
- Now, switch on the router after a gap of 10 minutes.
- After that, switch on your WiFi range extender.
- Once the LED lights on your extender become stable, switch on the computer.
- Connect the computer to the extender’s WiFi using its SSID and network key.
- Open a web browser and access www.mywifiext.net.
- In the case of a Mac device, consider visiting www.mywifiext.local.
- If the login page shows up, enter the default login credentials of the extender.
- The New Extender Setup page will appear.
- You will be asked whether you want to set up the extender in the AP mode or the Extender mode.
- The next screen will prompt you to assign a new SSID and WiFi password to the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.
- Do as prompted and set the password for your extender.
- Keep following the on-screen prompts till you see the BASIC Home screen.
Millions of users face issues in an attempt to connect Netgear extender to new router. Since you’ve read this post and are now acquainted with the whole nine yards of the process, we are hopeful that you will be able to get successful with the process. Now, you can resume your online journey by connecting your WiFi client devices to Netgear_ext.