Do you fear that someone will access the WiFi network of your Netgear range extender? If the answer to the question is yes, then you’ve landed on the right post. Here, we will guide you about how to secure WiFi network of your Netgear extender. So, let’s get started.
How to Secure WiFi Network of Netgear Extender?
1. Change the Default Admin Details
Every Netgear range extender comes with a preset username and password so that users can get it up and running in a hassle-free manner. However, after setting up the Netgear extender, the default login credentials need to be changed. It is required to prevent the Netgear range extender from being accessed by unauthorized users.
Now, let us shed light on the steps to change the default admin details of your Netgear wireless extender:
- Plug your Netgear WiFi extender into a working power source.
- Connect the extender to the router either using a wired or a wireless source.
- Afterwards, get access to a PC or laptop.
- Now, launch a web browser like Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari, etc.
Note: No matter which web browser you are using to change the default login admin details of your Netgear extender, ensure that it is not outdated.
- Go to the address bar.
- Type mywifiext local.
- Press the Enter key.
- You will get redirected to the Netgear Genie smart setup wizard.
- Click Settings > Password.
- Enter the new name for the extender in the New User Name field.
- Now, select the Password option.
- Type the password for your wireless extender in the New Password field.
- Re-enter the extender’s password in the Verify Password field.
- Select security questions and answer them.
- Click the Save button to bring changes into effect.
In this manner, you can change the default login credentials of your Netgear range extender to secure WiFi network.
2. Have a Strong WiFi Password
Changing the default WiFi password is another method of securing the Netgear extender. However, keep in mind to create a strong WiFi password for your extender.
Just in case you are unaware of the process of changing the WiFi password of your Netgear range extender, here’s how to do it:
- Ensure that your device is having access to a blazing-fast internet connection.
- Access the 192.168.1.250 IP address on an updated web browser.
- Log in to your Netgear wireless extender using the default login credentials.
Note: If you’ve changed the default username and password of your Netgear extender to secure WiFi network, consider using them instead of the old ones.
- The moment you reach the extender dashboard, click the Settings menu.
- Select Wireless.
- Look for the WiFi Password option.
- Once found, select it and click the ‘Use a Different Password’ option.
- Enter the extender’s new WiFi password and verify it.
- Scroll down and click the Save button in order to apply changes.
That’s how you can change the default WiFi password of your Netgear range extender. If you come across any issue while doing so, get in touch with our experts for immediate help.
3. Update the Firmware
Like any other networking device, your Netgear wireless extender also runs on a software. This software is none other than the firmware. To enhance the extender’s performance, Netgear rolls out a new firmware version regularly. So, it is necessary to upgrade the extender’s firmware. Also, updating the extender firmware adds security features to your WiFi device keeping potential threats at bay. Thus, it is an excellent method to secure WiFi network of the Netgear extender.
Given below are the steps to upgrade the firmware of a Netgear wireless extender:
- Verify that your extender is getting sufficient electricity.
- Now, download the firmware file for your Netgear extender and save it at a convenient location on your computer.
- Once done, reach the Netgear Genie setup wizard by accessing the extender’s default web address or IP address.
- Look for the Firmware Update option under the Settings tab.
- Once found, click it and select the Browse button.
- Locate and select the firmware file that you’ve downloaded at beginning of the process.
- Thereafter, click the Upload button.
- Your extender’s firmware will get updated in a few minutes.
In this manner, you can update your extender’s firmware to secure WiFi network.
Caution: After you click the Upload button, do not do anything with your Netgear extender or switch the tabs on the web browser. Doing so might interrupt the firmware update process or even corrupt the firmware.
Securing a Netgear extender is a responsibility along accessing a blazing-fast internet connection. Wrapping up our guide with the hope that the guidelines discussed above will help you to secure WiFi network of your extender. In case you need more help regarding the security of your Netgear wireless extender, contact our experts.