Netgear WiFi range extenders let users connect anywhere in their houses and increase the wireless coverage of their existing routers. However, many users are unaware of the fact that they can install their Netgear extender as an access point. It means when the Netgear extender is configured in the Access Point mode, it broadcasts completely new WiFi signals stronger than those in the extender mode. In other words, doing Netgear extender access point setup allows your WiFi device to create a hotspot for other devices present in the home network.
Wondering how to do Netgear extender access point setup? Simply, walk through this post and learn the step-by-step guidelines to install your Netgear WiFi extender as an access point. But before that, let us make you acquainted with the benefits of installing the extender in the access point mode.
Perks of Netgear Extender Access Point
Installing a range extender as an access point will be of great help when you have a bunch of networking devices in addition to numerous visitors. When your extender operates as an access point, it is capable of handling more devices and provides you the freedom to access the internet even in the darkest zones of the home. Not just this, the Netgear extender access point has a lot to offer that is mentioned below:
- They can be installed anywhere using a wired connection with the router.
- The access point mode allows you to limit guest access without settling with the network security.
- Network quality remains unaffected.
Now, let’s head over the steps to install the Netgear extender as an access point.
How to Do Netgear Extender Access Point Setup?
Given below are the steps that will help you do Netgear extender access point setup via mywifiext with ease:
- First of all, turn on your Netgear WiFi extender.
- If your Netgear range extender has an Access Point or Extender switch, set it to the Access Point mode.
- Now, pick an Ethernet cable and connect your Netgear extender to the host router with its help.
- Thereafter, switch on your computer.
- Pull up a web browser like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari, etc.
- Head over the cursor to the URL field of the web browser.
- Type mywifiext.net into it.
- Hit Enter.
- You will be taken to the admin page of your Netgear WiFi extender.
- Here, enter the default username and password of the extender.
- Click the Log In button.
- The Netgear Genie smart setup wizard will appear on the screen.
- Here, you will be asked to confirm the installation type.
- So, select the Access Point option.
- Now, you will see a few prompts on the screen.
- Follow the on-screen prompts carefully and complete the Netgear extender access point setup process.
That’s it. Your Netgear WiFi extender is successfully installed in the access point mode. It will now act as a centralized hub that will communicate with devices present in the home network. Now only this, it will project WiFi signals to a designated area as per the requirement.
Although it is easy to install a Netgear extender as an access point, some users find the process difficult and get stuck with it. If you have also met the same fate, here are a few pointers that will help you overcome the problem you are facing.
Checkpoints: Netgear Extender Access Point Setup
- Your Netgear extender must be plugged into a working wall socket.
- The connection between your Netgear extender and the host router must be finger-tight.
- Make sure that you have access to Netgear_ext.
- There should be no cuts on the Ethernet cable used to connect your WiFi devices.
- No antivirus software or firewall application must be working in the background during the Netgear extender access point setup process.
- The web browser used for installing the Netgear extender as an access point needs to be running on an updated version.
- Do not make any typing mistakes while entering the default login credentials of your extender as they are case-sensitive. Consider taking the help of the Netgear user manual if you don’t know the default admin details of your extender.
- Avoid using a cached web browser to Netgear extender access point setup process accomplished.
- Always use the address bar of the web browser to access the Netgear extender login window.
After keeping in mind the above-mentioned points, you will be able to set up your extender as an access point irrespective of its model. So, no matter whether you want to do Netgear EX3700 setup in access point mode or install another model, these steps are equally applicable.
Doing Netgear extender access point setup will make your extender a standalone device that allows internet access to the whole home. Hopefully, the steps and checkpoints mentioned here will help you install the Netgear extender as an access point. In case you need an expert’s help in the extender configuration process, get in touch with us.