A recent query by a Netgear user goes like this – “I own a Netgear WN2000RPT WiFi range extender and it is running on the firmware version v1 (V220.127.116.11IC). The region panel is selected United Status on the Netgear Genie login panel. When I try to update the firmware, I get the firmware region error. All I was trying to do was upload the firmware version that belongs to North America. Do you have any solution?”
Well, the internet is flooded with numerous similar queries. It generally happens when the user attempts to upload a firmware version that actually does not belong to the WiFi range extender model he owns. Thus, if you are also experiencing similar problems, it is recommended that you download the latest stable firmware version that corresponds to your WN2000RPT range extender only. Do not make the mistake of confusing your extender’s firmware with that of the Netgear WN2000RPTv3 – N300 universal WiFi range extender model.
Why You Are Getting Firmware Region Error?
90% of users get successful after opting for the correct firmware file and getting no error. But, the rest 10% ends up getting the firmware region error. This is to inform you that the region of operation as well as the firmware region gets locked at the time of the manufacturing. Therefore, if you’ve changed the region of operation of your device, you will get the firmware region error.
This usually happens when the user tries to use the extender in a region other than its region of manufacturing. The only solution is to purchase the WiFi range extender that belongs to your region. Just in case you are not in the mood to replace your current range extender, consider enabling Telnet if your extender allows that. This hack will also come in handy if you own another extender model launched by Netgear.
Since you’ve got the answer to the problem related to the Netgear WN2000RPT extender firmware region error, it is time to discuss solutions to other firmware errors.
Solved: Netgear WN2000RPT Firmware Region Error + Others
Here’s what to do if you are facing firmware-related issues with the Netgear range extender:
- Disable VPN Services: There are chances that you are trying to upgrade the firmware of your extender while being connected to a VPN service. Therefore, we recommend you disable all of them temporarily. Know that VPN services won’t allow you to complete some online tasks and the WN2000RPT firmware update is one such task.
- Enable Location on Computer: Another reason why you are getting the firmware region error while equipping your range extender with a new version is a location error from the computer. Perhaps, you’ve disabled it. To fix the issue, you are advised to enable location services on the device being used for the firmware update process.
- Remove Viruses: They can be distant reasons. But, it never means that you can overlook them. Viruses are capable of doing much more than your imagination. There is a possibility that you are facing issues because a virus has affected the location feature on your device. So, you are suggested to run a virus scan on your PC and remove any tainted files.
You can also try updating the software version of the computer to fix the region-related error. However, if the problem you are facing is still adamant about leaving your side, you can choose to reset the extender and set it up again. The steps for resetting have been mentioned in the upcoming section.
How to Reset Netgear WN2000RPT Extender?
Resetting the extender will erase all the customized settings including the Netgear extender login details and allow you to set it up from the very beginning. But, if you are in favor of avoiding all the hassle of configuring every setting again, you can look forward to taking a backup of the extender’s settings. Once done, follow these steps to complete the reset process:
- Verify that the extender is sharing no connection with any device.
- Now, locate the hole labeled Reset.
- As soon as you find it, grab a pointed object.
- Insert the pin in the Reset hole to press the button resting inside it.
- Hold for 30 seconds.
The Concluding Thought
Your Netgear WN2000RPT extender will start running on the default factory mode and you can start configuring it. Either set it up from scratch or load the previous settings via the Backup file. Lastly, load the latest stable firmware version on the extender with the help of the correct instructions mentioned in the user manual. You are supposed to do this by keeping the information provided in the blog.